Pages

Friday, May 31, 2013

Uh oh!

Last night my daycare provider called to tell me that the sibling of one of the daycare children has the chicken pox. The sick child is not in the daycare, his brother is. His brother has been vaccinated against the chicken pox, so that's good, but apparently there's a slight possibility that he could carry chicken pox.

My daughter just turned 15 months old two days ago and her appointment to get her shots is on Tuesday, so I'm thinking.... great... juuuust great!

I called the telehealth line to ask them what they thought I should do. They said the risk of exposure through an un-infected sibling was low, but they recommended that I go get the vaccine sooner because if she was exposed, within 0-3 days, the vaccine can still be up to 95% effective against the chicken pox, and within 3-5 days, up to 70% effective, also, it could lessen the symptoms if she does get it.

I was able to get her vaccinated through walk-in at a different clinic than the one our family doctor is in (since my family doctor's office has a terrible evening clinic system).

Here's to hoping that we got her vaccinated in time!

No comments:

Post a Comment